Fritz-Haber-Institut der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft
|AC CP MP PC TH MPG|
Printer-Installation for MAC OSX (and Unix Systems)
-- Access: Only with EDUROAM,Fixed and Valid IP from the GNZ,Wisschenschaftsnetz,
-- No Access from: DHCP (141.14.151.x) or 10.0.xxx Networks!!!
-- a valid FHI Account for the ADPRINT Printserver
1. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu choose Print & Fax.
3. If the lower left padlock is locked, click it and enter an administrator name and password to unlock it.
4. Click the "+" (plus) icon at the bottom of the "Printers" pane to open the "Add Printer" window.
5. Select "IP" on the toolbar.
6. Click the "Protocol:" field and change it to " Internet Printing Protocol IPP"
7. Click the "Address:" field and enter "cups.rz-berlin.mpg.de When your Mac can communicate with your IP-capable printer you will see the message "Valid and complete address." Once your Mac can establish the IP connection to your printer it will display "Gathering printer information…" and set up the proper printer driver in the "Print Using:" field.
8. Click the "Queue:" field and insert "/printers/printername/" Queue name ( for e.g. Copy "/printers/copy". For Printer names you can visit the webpage http://cups:631/printers )
9. Thats it
1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2. choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
3. Click the + button to add a printer.
4. Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
5. Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
6. Click Done.
7. Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar.
8. Choose "Windows printer via Spoolss" from the Type pop-up menu.
9. In the URL field, type the printer's address in one of the following formats: -- smb://adprint.rz-berlin.mpg.de/printername
Note: Here is a full list of the available printers : http://adprint.rz-berlin.mpg.de/printers/
10. In the Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X. Example:
11. Choose the appropriate PPD or printer driver from the "Print Using" pop-up menu Note1: You can use the "Generic PostScript Printer" or you can get the PPD files here (connect as guest)
use "select printer software.." for a ppd file)
12. Thats it, for every printjob you will be asked for your fhi username and password!
This works only when you're using the print server "adprint" and a canon image runner advance department printer with the correct drivers (PPD)
1. In your preferred application (word,thunderbird,firefox,... ) click file -> Print
2. Next click on the 3rd pull-down and select “Special Features.
3. Next change the Output method from Print to Secured Print. Then click Print.
4. On the next dialog, make up a document name. On the username field, delete whatever is in there and type in your computer username all lowercase.In the password field create a numeric password. (Don’t forget it. You will need it later
5.Click OK when finished.
1. On the Canon Image Runner Device control panel, select “Main Menu”.
2. On the control panel’s Main Menu, select “Secured Print”.
3. Select the print job you want to print, then select “Secured Print” on the lower right of the screen to start the selected print job.
5. Enter the PIN or password that you originally assigned to the document at the computer using the numeric keys on the Canon MFP.
7. The print job is output only when the correct PIN (password) is entered.
Open a terminal window and gain super user rights: "# su -".
If you do not have the super user password for "root", you must probably (re)initialize the super user account:
# sudo passwd root
Follow the instructions (Password request and defining the new password for root).
# su -
and typing the password you will become the super user "root".
Alternatively, you can become super user "root" by:
# sudo -s
and typing your own password.
Now you edit the Cups client.conf with the following command:
# vi /etc/cups/client.conf
# ServerName? ...
and remove the "#":
Now press Esc, type ":wq" and save the entry by "Enter".
Now restart, and all printers will be shown in the printer selection list.
© FHI . Datenschutzerklärung
|Edit Upload EditSideBar||
Address: Fritz-Haber-Institut, Faradayweg 4-6, 14195 Berlin, Germany